Custom Linux

Ryan D'Baisse ryan.dbaisse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 14:03:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:54:18 -0000, Paul Grenyer <paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk> wrote:

> Out of interest, why? Wouldn't it be better to recommend that your customers
> use a particular distro? Then you don't have to be responsible for updates
> etc...

Actually, I am kinda wondering the same thing.  So, if I may, here is
my logic to want to do this...

A friend and I have been kicking around the idea of building a product
that will be delivered as an Internet appliance.  Our product would
have a custom Internet server to handle the socket-level stuff and a
web-based interface for modifying settings of our server and doing
basic stuff with the machine, like rebooting.  We would like to use
Linux but want it stripped down so that only the bare essentials are
available for running our our stuff and the web server.  At this point
we are trying to figure out what we would need and how we would do
this.

Any thoughts?

Thanx,
Ryan