Re-installing GRUB on FC3

Pete Toscano pete-fedora at verisignlabs.com
Thu Dec 23 14:17:56 UTC 2004

Dan,

Thanks for looking into this.

I thought about moving my hard drives from ide2 and ide3 to ide0 and
ide1, but I hesitate for two reasons:

1.  The normal FC3 install went fine with the drives in their current
positions and it ran some GRUB install command, so why can't I just run
that again?

2.  ide0 and ide1 are slower IDE interfaces, but ide2 and ide3 are
ata100.  Granted, it probably doesn't make much difference, but I'd like
to keep the potential there.

That said, if I get frustrated enough, I might just disconnect my
optical drives for a minute, reconnect the hard drives to ide0 and ide1,
and try re-installing again.  I'm just not sure how well GRUB would
react after I move them back to ide2 and ide3.  (Probably not well.)

Thanks,
pete