iXXX

Rob Shinn surak at tuxedo.darktech.org
Thu Dec 23 14:35:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 15:09 +0100, Maciek R. wrote:

> If I get the output ...
>
> [root at ferrari i386]# uname -r
> 2.6.9-1.667
>
> .. does it mean I have i686 because of the 6 after the 2? Or is there a
> different way to find it out?

No.  The 6 after the 2 is the minor kernel version.  You are using Linux
kernel 2.6.9, where 2 is the major version, 6 is the minor version, and
9 is the release level. The '1.667' after the '-' is the Red Hat patch
level.

The info you are looking for is likely either 'uname -m', which will
give you the machine name the kernel was compiled for, or 'uname -p'
which gives you the name of the processor you are running on.

If you are running the default FC3 kernel (looks like you are) and have
not recompiled it, then 'uname -m' will give you 'i686'.  On my machine:

[root at dagda ~]# uname -m
i686

which gives me the processor the kernel was compiled for (i686, since
I'm running an unmodified FC3 kernel) and

[root at dagda ~]# uname -p
athlon

which gives me the name of my processor, which is an AMD Athlon.