Problem with NVidia card and dual display in FC 3

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 15:33:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:33:12 +0600, Chamil Thanthrimudalige
<chamilt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I submited this to the fedora-desktop-list and was instructed to ask
> here. So I just subscribed to this list.
>
> I installed a fresh copy of FC3 on my machine. The default nv drivers
> work fine. But I can't get dual head working with nv drivers by
> editing xorg.conf.  "system-config-display" does not do any thing when
> I select "Use dual head" and click ok. Then I cancel to go out of the
> screen.
>
> So I do a init 3 install the NVidia drivers from the site. Change
> xorg.conf and then do a init 5 and my dual display works fine. But
> when I reboot the system it does not work. With out the intial
> graphical part I can go upto the login screen and then when X starts
> it says that displays were found but non have a usable configuration.
>
> Please note that I can use the below configuration file and work on
> the system with out rebooting after the instalation of the drivers
> from the NVidia site.
>
> My Card is Asus V9400 Gamer Edition which used NVidia "MX 4000" GPU.
>
> My xorg.conf is as below.
>
> Best Regards,
> Chamil Thanthrimudalige.

[snip]

See http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/ for the detail (down at the
bottom).  The quick answer: Boot to run level 3 (or wait until 5 fails
and you drop to a virtual console), reinstall the nVidia driver
(perhaps not needed) then issue the commands:

modprobe nvidia
cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

By the way, this issue has been dealt with many times on this list.
I'm not a big fan of saying "search the archives" (that's a huge
archive), but perhaps you could have found your answer there.  I won't
complain too much, though, especially since you just joined.  Just so
you know, this is a very high volume list, so be prepared for a lot of
messages : ).

Jonathan