Where to go with FC3 and ACPI?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 23 15:40:43 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:

> Okay, I am thoroughly confused.  I have been reading everything I can
> about FC3, ACPI, and kernels for days now.  I do not know how to
> proceed.
>
> I am running FC2 with kernel 2.6.5-1.358 and have not had any
> problems.  I want FC3 and the latest kernel, however when I upgrade my
> kernel, even on FC2, I can no longer boot.

You've installed FC3 kernel on FC2? This might be the reason for your
problems (with all the udev/other changes in FC3). The latest FC2
update is equivalent to the latest FC3 update. You should either stick
with the updated FC2 kernel - or do a complete upgrade to FC3.

<snip>

> Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone, or anything, that can tell me
> specifically what the differences are (i.e., they enabled ACPI and
> removed APM, etc.).

With both FC2 & FC3 kernels - ACPI is the default - and APM is enabled
if booted with 'acpi=off' option.

Satish