museum collection software?

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 21:01:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:11:48 -0800, Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is anyone aware of free software to manage museum collections? It would, I
> suppose, be a special purpose database app, analogous to Koha for libraries.
>
> Dave

You should maybe try mcn-l (http://mcn.edu/resources/mcnl.htm) for
this kind of query.

My short answer, unfortunately, is that I'm not aware of any serious
free software for collections management. It's just too specific and
detailed a project. When my Museum woks on software development we
don't even touch the commercial software we use (TMS;
gallerysystems.com)--we access the DB read-only and that's it.

On the other hand, there's a whole slew of free and open digital asset
management packages (the other Fedora, DSpace, greenstone). But
Collections Management is a whole other animal.

Good luck,
Matt Morgan
Manager of Information Systems
Brooklyn Museum