FC3 x86_64 boot hangs at HAL Daemon

TGP fedora-list at wildlifeplot.com
Thu Dec 23 22:12:19 UTC 2004

I'm trying to set up a Samba file server for a network of windows machines.

Server System details:
Asus A8V Motherboard
AMD 64 3000+ CPU
Kingston 256Mb RAM
WD 40Gb SATA HDD (2x) (RAID 1)
Radeon 9200 ADP Video card

I loaded FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) via FTP. After load, it restarted fine and
asked for additional info to set up the system. It seemed to hiccup on
the video setup but still continued. Now on boot the system runs up to
'starting the HAL Daemon' which gets a green 'OK'. Then the screen
blacks out and, after a few seconds, returns but is locked up. The mouse
pointer moves, but nothing else responds.

I removed 'rhgb quiet' and was able to boot to the command line, but I'm
a relative Linux newbie and don't know what to do to continue.

Any ideas?? - thanks