Adaptec 2810SA SATA RAID with FC3

Shane Archer ShaneA at rc411.com
Thu Dec 23 23:11:16 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I am working on getting a RAID 5 array (5 x 150GB SATA drives) up and
running under FC3. In my initial attempt, the array built and verified with
no problem, and I was able to complete a FC3 install with everything
working. I came back to the office this morning to continue working on it,
performed a reboot, and received a degraded array message. I tested the
drive in question independently and found nothing wrong with it, and after
a bit more sleuthing it looks like there's a newer BIOS for the Adaptec
2810SA card that fixes some problems that may lead to this (specifically, a
SATA RAID degrading after reboot on an Intel server board, in this case an
Intel SE7520AF2).

Adaptec has provided drivers for the new BIOS (7348) for RedHat, so my
question is, can I install, use, or otherwise modify these to get them
working under FC3? My understanding of the new BIOS is that it changes some
things and will not work with the standard drivers; FC3 picked up the card
with no problem when I installed it the first time, but I am not sure if
there is a specific driver or just a generic one (since the 2810SA card is
a full hardware implementation, unlike some of the lesser Adaptec cards).

I am still learning my way around Linux, although this is my first foray
into drivers, RAID and such.

Thanks!

Shane