Ownership

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Thu Dec 23 23:53:12 UTC 2004

morpheus wrote:

>>Why would anyone *need* to use the GUI file browser in root mode? What I
>>meant is that, when you try to use a tool that *requires* root access,
>>it generally asks for the password.
>>

>If you try to move/copy/delete files that you don't have permission for,
>you just get an error...it doesn't ask for a password.
>Still, using cp, mv and rm is safer.
>-m

Personally, I find it easier and quicker to do it via keyboard.
Especially when there are a large number of files. For example, how
would I do cp *.com  another-dir/ in a GUI? Imagine if the folder has
abut 300 files with different extensions...

Yes, cp, mv, rm are safer. And easier.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University