FC3 x86_64 boot hangs at HAL Daemon

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Fri Dec 24 09:18:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 17:12 -0500, TGP wrote:

> I loaded FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) via FTP. After load, it restarted fine and
> asked for additional info to set up the system. It seemed to hiccup on
> the video setup but still continued. Now on boot the system runs up to
> 'starting the HAL Daemon' which gets a green 'OK'. Then the screen
> blacks out and, after a few seconds, returns but is locked up. The mouse
> pointer moves, but nothing else responds.
>
> I removed 'rhgb quiet' and was able to boot to the command line, but I'm
> a relative Linux newbie and don't know what to do to continue.

Removing 'rhgb quiet' doesn't change the init level, so it isn't clear
to me what you did to get it to boot to the command line. If you want to
go directly to the GUI, you should have /etc/inittab set the default
runlevel to 5, or if you want command line, then 3.

>From the command line, you can log on (preferably as a non-root user)
then use 'startx' to get the GUI going and see if it still has a
problem. If it hangs up there, you can examine your Xorg log files
(in /var/log) to see if it is reporting any problems with the video
(after re-booting to the command line).

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc dot rr dot com>