fedora-list Digest, Vol 10, Issue 380

TGP fedora-list at wildlifeplot.com
Fri Dec 24 14:43:22 UTC 2004

>On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 17:12 -0500, TGP wrote:
>

>>> I loaded FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) via FTP. After load, it restarted fine and
>>> asked for additional info to set up the system. It seemed to hiccup on
>>> the video setup but still continued. Now on boot the system runs up to
>>> 'starting the HAL Daemon' which gets a green 'OK'. Then the screen
>>> blacks out and, after a few seconds, returns but is locked up. The mouse
>>> pointer moves, but nothing else responds.
>>>
>>> I removed 'rhgb quiet' and was able to boot to the command line, but I'm
>>> a relative Linux newbie and don't know what to do to continue.
>>

>Removing 'rhgb quiet' doesn't change the init level, so it isn't clear
>to me what you did to get it to boot to the command line. If you want to
>go directly to the GUI, you should have /etc/inittab set the default
>runlevel to 5, or if you want command line, then 3.

I edited the Grub text to remove  'rhgb quiet' and replaced it with '3'.

>>From the command line, you can log on (preferably as a non-root user)
>then use 'startx' to get the GUI going and see if it still has a
>problem. If it hangs up there, you can examine your Xorg log files
>(in /var/log) to see if it is reporting any problems with the video
>(after re-booting to the command line).

If I issue startx from the command line I get the same momentary blank
screen and lock-up.
If substitute '5' for '3' in Grub, I get the slight pause at the login
request, then blank screen and lock-up.

I posted indicators from /var/log/messages file and
/var/log/Xorg.0.log recently, but I can post them again if it will help.

Thanks