Newbie

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Fri Dec 24 15:56:19 UTC 2004

Mehdi Bouhalassa wrote:
>> [root at iq mehdi]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc /media/cdrecorder
>> mount: special device /dev/sdc does not exist
>

> Not working...
>
>   :-(
>
> It's so frustrating!  I really want to switch to Fedora, but what's the
> point if I keep going back to XP?

its a learning process. don't try to get everything all at one time or
you'll only end up so frustrated you don't want to bother any more. I
would suggest to you that since there appear to be some unique quirks
within Fedora Core 3 such as the ones that you, myself and others are
attempting to work through, that it would be a real good idea to get
your feet wet with either RedHat 9 or Fedora Core 2.

Actually, for stability and learning I would strongly recommend RedHat 9
which is very similar to Fedora Core is not the same minus some of the
bells and whistles.

I've got RedHat 9 installed and running on an older PII 333 Toshiba
laptop which was loaded and is using an external "USB" CDRW drive. I had
absolutely no problem getting RH9 to recognize the drive, which was
crucial since I performed a CD install once the machine was booted using
a boot floppy. Getting the same to happen with Mandrake Linux, which has
much better support for creating boot floppies across all their distro
versions than Redhat was much more of an exercise because RH9's hardware
support appears to be much more mature and stable for some odd-ball
hardware configs.

I can almost guarantee that RH9 will correctly id all your hardware as
it "really" is and properly set things up so that everything is usable.
A good example of how well RH9 is put together is this:

This old laptop and the USB CDRW drive don't work well together with
windows and Mandrake Linux functionality is spotty at best. However,
since loading RH9 on this machine I have absolutely no trouble at all
with running the machine continuously, and at the drop of a hat being
able to plug the drive into the USB port and then being able to use the
device. Just as its designed to be used. When I'm finished using the
device I and easily unplug it from the USB port and go on about my
business without the machine complaining in any way that something is
missing. In short, RH9 recognizes perfectly that this is a removeable
media device AND that by its nature as a USB device it will activate all
drivers as soon as the device is introduced to the system by being
hot-plugged into the port, mount the device and allow it to be used.

I have absolutely nothing but good to say about RedHat 9. Give it a try
and I think once you've gotten your feet good and wet you'll have no
trouble at all with FC3, but by that time FC4 might be out and you may
not want to move away from RH9 anyway. ;)

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."