newbie stuff

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Fri Dec 24 16:20:04 UTC 2004

You know, Mark, reading this Fedora list thread, I think you are being misled
a bit about Linux by implication. I use Fedora every day and am overall quite
happy with it. But it might be worthwhile for you to download and burn a copy
of Knoppix or Ubuntu or Mepis, which are other Linux distributions that run
live from CD and DO NOT ALTER YOUR HARD DRIVE. So you set the BIOS to boot
from CDROM, insert the option you like and try it. Then when you are
finished, just go back to booting from your disk of choice with no change.

And all three of these distributions I've named make it MUCH EASIER for the
newbie, that's their intent; Fedora is a good solid distro but has a fairly
high geek factor.

HTH,

Dave
--
As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, in The Wisdom of the Sands