How to scan for wifi hotspots?

Colin Brace cwb at lim.nl
Fri Dec 24 20:38:05 UTC 2004

Hi all,

How does one get online via public wireless access points in cafés and
so on an ad hoc basis? My laptop is running Core 2; iwconfig and
system-config-network recognize the wireless card, but I don't know how
to obtain the SSID and so forth at a given location. Mac and Win users
seem to have software which automatically detects a hotspot and brings
up a connection; is anything with comparable functionality available for
Linux?

KDE WiFi Manager looks like it might offer something along these lines,
  but the last Red Hat RPM is from April 2003 for RH8 and obviously
doesn't install under Fedora. See:
http://sourceforge.net/project/show...?group_id=52104
I tried compiling it from source but got error messages.

The GNOME Wireless Applet also looks promising but the project web page
hasn't been updated for two years, so it looks like it is in deep
hibernation: http://gwifiapplet.sourceforge.net/

Thanks your time.