FC3 system-config-display

david langton zezidud at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 25 02:43:37 UTC 2004

The monitor I'm using was not detected on installation of FC3, so I edited xorg.config to put in the horizontal and vertical frequencies and highest resolution (1024*768).  After doing this, however, system-config-display refuses to run.  I suppose this means that I need to change another config file somewhere, but which one?

I am new to Linux.  The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX110 with 256MB RAM.  The video card is a Geforce MX440 made by chaintech that can easily handle 1024 resolution at 24-bit color depth.  The monitor is an old Apple Multiple Scan 20 Display that works fine with the display card under Windows.

It might be the monitor config information that is messed up, since when I do manage to get system-config-display to run, it doesn't allow alteration of the monitor information (Only 'Cancel' button is enabled.)

How do I set this up properly?  The display system will currently only go as high as 800*600 resolution.  As stated above, altering xorg.config only disables system-config-display.   How can I get around this problem?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

-dvd