Fedora Core 3: /media/cdrecorder keeps dissappearing

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Sat Dec 25 13:46:48 UTC 2004

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

>I did a little research on my own (on the theme of logs), and I found the
>following in /var/log/messages:
>Dec 20 14:00:17 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not
>ready after error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
>Dec 20 14:00:17 x1-6-00-c0-f0-55-7c-ff kernel: usb 1-6: USB disconnect,
>address 4

The time on the above makes me suspicious. 17 seconds after a new hour
(14), this occurs. Could an hourly cron job be causing this? A failure
at 14:00:00, followed by, say 16 seconds of error recovery attempts, and
then when all is lost it produces this message a second later. I know
its a bit far fetched, but coincidence in the computer business isn't
coincidence usually.

Check your previous message logs (message1, message2, etc) to see if you
can find a pattern of failure all around the same time.

>I then located the following link:
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-November/msg02386.html
>
>Is my issue like the one referred to in the email that I put the link for?

Sorry, but you're best able to say if you think its related. You have
the first hand experience.

All we do are Linux servers, and we usually turn USB off via the BIOS,
as we have no use for what we consider a flakey technology. We also
stopped using SCSI when the 3WARE SATA controllers hit the market and
have never looked back. Even backup is done to disk now, so we have
absolutley no use for SCSI.

Now you need some folks that are USB literate, and I'm not.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com