Can fedora write-mounted NTFS partitions be SMB shared for write?

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 20:18:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:26:10 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:

> I have a dual-boot system with win 2000 and fedora FC3
> of which I want to have FC3 as my default and I want to
> make the NTFS partitions available for writable SMB shares.
>
> As I understand it, the write danger comes in when someone
> as a fedora user tries to write into a write-mounted NTFS
> partition using the NTFS drivers.  But what is not clear,
> is if there is any danger from creating a Samba write-sharing
> of a mounted-write NTFS partition via Fedora.

Well, I can't really see the difference between the two scenarios: in
the first one, the danger is caused by a user directly logged on the
system trying to write into the NTFS partition.
In the second one the user will use a a samba share, hence the user
accessing the NTFS is the one running the samba server (probably
root), but to me this makes zero difference.
The danger is exactly the same.

I think the best option is to copy everything from the NTFS to the
linux partition and make the smb shares from that.

Cheers