FC3 - screen refresh

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 25 21:17:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 12:22 -0500, david langton wrote:
> With helpful advice from Matthew Mller, I managed to reset my screen
> resolution to 1024.  But am I satisfied?  Now I want to set the screen
> refresh rate to 75hz, which is the recommended setting for the (Apple
> Multiple Scan 20) monitor at that resolution.  In the  GUI interface,
> there is a Screen Resolution applet under Preferences, but the
> settings it allows are only 60hz and 70hz.  (The video card is a
> Chaintech GeForce MX 440, so it can certainly  do it, as I assume the
> Linux driver can too.)  Can I edit some configuration file somewhere
> to make the setting directly or enable the applet to allow a 75hz
> setting in its menu?
>
> Thanks.  (Merriy Christmas.)
>
> -dvd

David,

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Set the horizontal and vertical frequencies to those of the monitor.
Restart X and the best possible refresh rates will be chosen for the
given resolutions.  Also if you go to Applications->System->Settings-
>Display and find your monitor.  I did not see any Apple monitors there,
but chances are Apple did not make it anyway.  It's probably a Sony or
an NEC.

Specs at:

http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/apple/multiplescan20m1823.html

Bob...