snmpd on Fedora Core 3

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 26 20:34:35 UTC 2004

I am getting ready to write some portable network management
applications using snmp (Fedora Core 3 and Windows/2000).  My Fedora
Core 3 setup:

net-snmp-libs-5.1.2-11
net-snmp-devel-5.1.2-11
net-snmp-utils-5.1.2-11
net-snmp-5.1.2-11
Linux 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 #1

However, all attempts to start snmpd fail with a segmentation fault.
There are no other warnings or errors.  I've attempted to run (as
root) /usr/sbin/snmpd -f to see any other possible errors, but no other
error messages were produced.

I noticed that snmp-5.2 is available from the net-snmp web site.  There
are also source rpms for Fedora Core 2.

rpmbuild --rebuild for the Fedora Core 2 source rpms failed.  Before I
go building from source (and fake kde-utils and etherfind), are there
any other issues I should investigate?

/mde/