Tar and Move entire system to new hardware

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Mon Dec 27 02:05:18 UTC 2004

On Sunday 26 December 2004 20:21, mark wrote:
> Looking for some advice.
>
> I have a RHEL WS box I want to move to new hardware.
>
> I would like to tar it all up, move it, extract it, rescue disk, grub
> install, and run it.   Is this do-able?  Better method?
>
> What is the tar command to tar all for such a purpose?  There is an
> exclude proc part is I remember right......
>
> I am moving from a dual p800 on 80 Gig ATA to a 36GIG SCSI RAID 1
> Single hyperthread CPU ( still SMP )
>
> Thoughts?  Recommendations?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark

I have done it that way a long time ago - not the greatest fun but it works
well enough...
The things I can think of that you need to worry about to get a booting system
are:

1) grub.conf (root entries, splash image)
2) scsi driver in initrd for your controller (mod /etc/modules.conf with the
driver for your scsi crontoller and rerun mkinitrd before you move to the new
hardware)
3) devices will be different (modify /etc/fstab)

That should give you a bootable system - the rest of the drivers, x and so on
you can do through kudzu and system-config-*

Anyway, I'd just reload the box...

Peter.