FC 3 Display Problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 27 03:07:12 UTC 2004

Francisco Mendez wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have installed FC3 on a machine with the following:
>
>     P iii @ 800 MHz
>     Motherboard Intel D815EEA
>     512 MB of Ram
> This machine is working with the integrated video card: (extract from
> lspci):

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82815 CGC [Chipset
> Graphics Controller] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>         Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4541
>         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
>         Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>         Memory at ffa80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
>         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>
> After instalation all that I get is a black screen with previous colored
> garbage displays. After several attempts and reboots, the firstboot
> program tried to start but unsuccesfully.
>
> At the time I'm running FC1 on this machine, and thought it was time to
> move to FC3.
>
> Is there a possibility to run FC3 on this machine?
>
> Thx in advance for your help.
>
> Francisco Mendez

By your description, you ended up with my computer. I checked and it was
still there.

Anyway, this is a problem that the ever so popular Intel 815 video
graphics controller has on a default FC3 installation. You can changed
to a terminal and add Option "NoAccel" to your /etc/X11/xor.conf file.
The problem you are seeing is a refresh problem with the intel i810
driver for 810/815 type cards.
The problem is lessened in later versions of xorg-x11 and you can then
remove the Option "NoAccel" from the xorg.conf file after applying the
updates to your system via up2date, yum, apt or whatever program you use
to upgrade your system.

There will still be a problem with X crashing when changing to a
terminal via ctl-alt-Fn. The server will crash when DRI is enabled, but
not when using 24bit color depth.

Fc3 should run nicely after applying upgraded to your system and
temporarily adding noaccel to xorg.conf.

I guess you could upgrade your system without an X server and then try
to launch X after applying the upgrades and rebooting your system.

Don't give up just yet on FC3.

Jim