GNOME terminal bell and PC speaker after FC2 to FC3 upgrade

cfk cfk at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 27 04:36:38 UTC 2004

On Sunday 26 December 2004 16:45, Motor wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:43:15 +0000, Motor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The terminal bell in GNOME seems to have vanished after I upgraded by
> > FC2 system to FC3.
>
> Followup:
>
> If I type:
>
> xset b 70 740
>
> I get the terminal bell back, but it obviously doesn't remain across X
> sessions. Where is the bell volume/pitch/duration supposed to be set
> anyway?

Actually this begs an additional question.

I need to do an:

xset -dpms
xset s noblank
xset s off

to several computers at work each time they are booted as I put these
incantations into rc.local and they are ignored. These particular embedded
systems are used as root (they are toasters after all) and there is no
~/.xinitrc.

What is the best way to do an 'xset <whatever>' and expect it to be
persistent.

Charles