Language Support How to best achieve it.

Erin D. Hughes erin at t-mark.co.jp
Mon Dec 27 06:12:11 UTC 2004

I run a number of Linux servers at my company and we are always thinking of
adding more.
We recently switched to a newer web server RHES on a brand new box strange
things started to happen. Our perl based mail outs were being delivered moji
baki (Japanese term for unreadable Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji
characters). Everything else works and displays fine. After a while we
traced the problem down to a the perl installation not containing support
for Japanese text.
My Question is (because I did not do the initial install on this particular
server) when you install through the GUI and select default and supported
languages like English as default and Japanese Korean and Chinese as
languages you need to support. Does it compile all of your RPM installation
with support for those languages or is that only for configuration of GUI
environments.
Additionally is there a switch I need to specify for YUM when telling it to
update RPMS (I am personally using a FC2 system) that I want to make sure
the packages it download will have support for the my chosen languages.
I have researched this and found no real concrete answer so any help would
be appreciated.

Erin D. Hughes
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

~ Calvin Coolidge