Arrgh, I cant install FC3! (USB hardware problems?)

Robert Johnson rwj04 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 27 08:24:38 UTC 2004

That's a good suggestion.  But I just checked the Bios update available
for my machine (Dell dimension 2350):  one update can be had, and all
changes are either trivial, or not applicable to my processor.   Nothing
about USBs at all.  Rather not take a chance Flashing the BIOS for what
will apparantly be of no benefit.

> As you've indicated, it's best to have all USB devices
> unplugged until you get it working (including any external
> USB hubs, etc).
>
> Also, are you using USB keyboards or mice, or are they PS/2 devices?

Just the camera and the printer.  Whether or not they are disconnected
makes no difference, the install fails at the USB detection.

> Also, if you don't care about USB devices (only as a last
> resort), you can use the kernel boot option "nousb" rather
> than "noprobe" to just skip the USB stuff.

Yeah, but then I'd just be back yelling "Arrgh, I can't get me printer
or camera to work!!"  :)