Language Support How to best achieve it.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Dec 27 09:20:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 15:12 +0900, Erin D. Hughes wrote:
> I run a number of Linux servers at my company and we are always thinking of
> adding more.
> We recently switched to a newer web server RHES on a brand new box strange
> things started to happen. Our perl based mail outs were being delivered moji
> baki (Japanese term for unreadable Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji
> characters). Everything else works and displays fine. After a while we
> traced the problem down to a the perl installation not containing support
> for Japanese text.
> My Question is (because I did not do the initial install on this particular
> server) when you install through the GUI and select default and supported
> languages like English as default and Japanese Korean and Chinese as
> languages you need to support. Does it compile all of your RPM installation
> with support for those languages or is that only for configuration of GUI
> environments.
> Additionally is there a switch I need to specify for YUM when telling it to
> update RPMS (I am personally using a FC2 system) that I want to make sure
> the packages it download will have support for the my chosen languages.
> I have researched this and found no real concrete answer so any help would
> be appreciated.

The RPMs you get for a particular package are the same regardless of the
language options you have selected. However, the packages may behave
differently based on configuration file settings (e.g. the LC_* and LANG
environment variables) and you'll get extra RPMs installed to support
different input methods etc.

Yum will update packages you already have installed on the system (and
will install any new dependencies or packages you select manually). It
will ignore other packages. Yum itself has no concept of languages.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>