Using MiniDV camcorder with FC3

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Dec 27 11:16:10 UTC 2004

William Lovaton wrote:

>El dom, 26-12-2004 a las 15:24 -0600, Gustavo Seabra escribió:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a Panasonic PF-GS9 camcorder that I'd like to use with Linux. It
>>has a USB port, that I'm guessing it must be compatible only with USB
>>2.0, but I'm not completely sure. I'd appreciate some help with a couple
>>of questions i have:
>>
>>1. I'm not sure what kind of USB port do I have here. How can I find
>>ithat out for sure?
>>

>Try hwbrowser.  You will need root password.  Execute it from the
>terminal or from the main menu: Apps -> System tools -> Hardware browser
>
>You could use lspci as root too.
>

>>2. In case I have the correct port, what program(s) would I need to use
>>this camera with the computer? With that i mean what is needed/suggested
>>to upload and edit the videos?
>>

>I think just connecting the camera to the USB port should do the trick.
>It will be treated as a storage device (I guess) so you can copy the
>files to your hard disk with nautilus.
>
>If you plug your camera and nothing happens you can
>check /var/log/messages to check kernel events.
>
>Before connecting do this as root in a terminal window:
># tail -f /var/log/messages
>
>plug your camera in and post the kernel events to the list.
>

>-William

Thanks William. hwbrowser gives only the following:

Selected Device:
      Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
Manufacturer:  Unknown
Driver:            uhci-hcd

With no mention to the USB version. If I try connecting the camera
anyway, could I break anything?

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University