Postfix + Cyrus + Catchall Addreses

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Dec 27 12:22:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 19:46, Volker Kindermann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > user1 and user2 are system users.
> > user100 is a NON-Existent user.
> >
> > user999 is a virtual user in cyrus.
> >
> > Mails sent to user1 and user2 will get auth'ed using the system's passwd
> > file. No issues there.
>
> ok.
>

> > mails sent to user100 will get bounced with No-User Found. Normally
> > desired. Only things is, currently, I want to experiment and I want a
> > catchall address. eg: All non-existent users (in cyrus or system
> > accounts) will be sent to catchall at virtual.domain1.com
>
> Do you have a mailbox for this "catchall"? I think it should be possible
> to forward this mail either to one of the system users or to a virtual
> user in cyrus (I don't know cyrus, I'm using courier-imap).

Well, initially I just wanted to point everything to user1. Just to try
but that didn't work.

> Would you mind to post your main.cf (without the comments)?
I don't mind, but I don't have it. It's back at home and I'm at the
office. (it's 8pm and I'm still at the Office!!)

Let me get it tomorrow maybe.

> As far as I understand your setup, you want to get mail for user1/user2
> in their mailboxes, and mail for anything other @virtual.domain1.com to
> ... a mailbox of user1 or user2, or a virtual cyrus user? Like so:
>

> mail for user1 at virtual.domain1.com -> delivered to /var/spool/mail/user1
> mail for user2 at virtual.domain1.com -> delivered to /var/spool/mail/user2
Actually its cyrus users. It's a different beast compared to just
running a _normal_ IMAP like dovecot. It's being delivered to
/var/spool/imap/(can't rememeber)/u/user1/

> mail for userx at virtual.domain1.com -> delivered to ???
I just put it as user1 for the time being.

> Is this ok or should _any_ mail for virtual.domain1.com go to a system
> user or a virtual user, e.g.:
>

> mail for user1 at virtual.domain1.com -> delivered to /var/spool/mail/user1
> mail for user2 at virtual.domain1.com -> delivered to /var/spool/mail/user1
> mail for userx at virtual.domain1.com -> delivered to /var/spool/mail/user1

Right now, I'm ok with anything. As long as it works and then i can
solve it from there on.

> > mails sent to user999 will be accepted(as with any valid users already
> > in cyrus's mailbox database), but there is curently no way (yet, since
> > I'm still trying to figure out how to get virtual users auth'ed w/o
> > using LDAP/mySQL/PostgrelQSL and only flat files and _not_ the system
> > /etc/passwd file) to get to the emails via Evolution since there's
> > No-password!
>
> As I said above, I don't know anything about cyrus. I'm using
> courier-imap and configured it to use virtual mailboxes based on an own
> little database (created and maintained by simple commandline commands).
Ah... Okay, in that case, the above answers can't really be helped by you.
Don't mean to offend but cyrus is a different beast with a separate
mailstore etc.
It's just different and it not as simple as it sounds.

> My email users are totally seperated and independent from the system
> users. An example: I host the domain domainx.de and have there three
> virtual mailboxes and a catchall.
>
> domainx.de is listed in virtual_mailbox_domains (main.cf).
>
> I have also
>
> virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail   and
> virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
>
> in main.cf.
>

> /etc/postfix/virtual lists these entries for domainx.de:
>
> user1 at domainx.de                        domainx.de/user1/
> user2 at domainx.de                        domainx.de/user2/
> user3 at domainx.de                        domainx.de/user3/
> @domainx.de                             domainx.de/user2/
>
> That means Maidirs are at /home/vmail/domainx.de/userx/
> user1, user2 and user3 get their emails (userx at domainx.de) and user2
> gets all other emails to anything at domainx.de in addition to his own ones.
>
> Perhaps this can help you.
Hmm... I don't think it applies to cyrus since postfix talks to the LMTP
which talks to cyrus. Postfix and cyrus don't commicate. They just know
that they hand everything over to LMTP.

Thanks anyway..

--
Ow Mun Heng