Mbox2MailDir [was]Re: moving from stock IMAP server to Cyrus IMAP.

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Dec 27 12:33:10 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 27.12.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 13:16:

> > google brought me:
> > http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1284283/com/mb2md-3.20-1.noarch.rpm.html
> But is it for FC3? I don't have a compiler on my FC3 box :-(

Don't use it. I just posted the link so that you can read the tools
description. As said, Cyrus-IMAPd uses it's own Maildir storage format
which is NOT compatible with the Maildir format known by Dovecot or
Courier for example. So the above tool mb2md is USELESS for your
purpose.

> > Don't use it if you want to use Cyrus-IMAPd! It has it's own Maildir
> > storage which is NOT the same as Maildir i.e. used by Dovecot or
> > Courier.
> Then how do you suggest moving the mbox mails to maildir?
> Currently am Using a formail script I found which delivers it to cyrus's
> deliver program.
>
> It works but it ain't "nice"

A "formail | deliver" pipe instruction is proper. Why isn't that "nice"?
Or what about using the solution described on

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html#92594

(user2cyrus requires the NetxAP Perl module, which is freely available
from CPAN.).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 13:28:32 up 4 days, 15:12, load average: 0.36, 0.27, 0.24