DNS settings for wireless connection (was: Re: How to scan for wifihotspots?)

rab at nauticom.net rab at nauticom.net
Mon Dec 27 15:28:21 UTC 2004

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the useful responses to my earlier post several days ago.
> "iwlist scan" works fine for identifying WiFI hotspots, as does
> KWifiManager.
>
> However, I am still having trouble determining the correct settings for
> the wireless device profile (eth1) in config-system-network.
>
> If I configure it to automatically obtain the IP number using DHCP (with
> the "automatically obtain DNS information from provider" option turned
> on), on activation the program spends a minute or so trying to determine
> IP information before ending in failure.
>
> However, if I manually supply an IP number such as 192.168.1.2, the
> connection comes up almost instantly, but DNS lookup doesn't work, hence
> I can't browse or do anything useful.
>
> For eth0, the RJ45 wire ethernet connection, the DHCP lookup with
> automatic DNS setting works fine. I have no additional DNS or gateway
> entries defined.
>
> Suggestions anyone?
>

> --

I'm using RH9 (couldn't get FC2 to load on my laptop due to some problem
with the pcmcia slot). I think the problem is the same in both RH9 and
FC2. I'm at a hotel right now and connected manually using iwconfig and
dhclient. When I try to use the network gui for public wifi it NEVER
works, even though I use it at home for my home network. I've given up and
just do it manually - it's easy enough. The "scan" function does not work
with my wireless card/driver (DLINK 650 with the prism 2 chipset). I have
asked questions related to this problem numerous times but no one has shed
much light on it.

Rick B.