RPM verification

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 27 15:43:37 UTC 2004

I just had a system crash that involved repairing the /usr filesystem, so
I ran "rpm -Va" to make sure there was no damage.  I have two questions:

(1) The file status string that is printed when a file fails to verify
consists of

	SM5DLUGTC

possibly followed by one of c,d, g, l, or r.  I can't find any description
of the final "C" character in the "SM5DLUGTC" string.  (The uppercase "C"
after the "T", not the lowercase "c" after the space. I know the latter
indicates a config file.)  It's not documented in the man page or the
latest snapshot of Maximum RPM at www.rpm.org.  What is this mysterious
character trying to tell me?

(2) I got a number of error messages of the form:

	prelink: /tmp/#prelink#.mPH4kf: Recorded 12 dependencies, now seeing -1

What does this mean?  Is it serious?  How can it be repaired?

Thanks.

--

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu