FC3 - i cant play MP3 or DVD ???

Dave fedora-user at nospam.dnsalias.org
Mon Dec 27 18:30:34 UTC 2004

On Monday 27 December 2004 10:26 am, you wrote:
> On Monday 27 December 2004 02:33 am, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Sa, den 25.12.2004 schrieb Positive Negative um 0:16:
> > > apt-get install mplayer
> > >
> > > it works... now i still cant play DVD or MP3
> > >
> > > i did all the apt-get install for mpeg dvd ect.... still nothing
> > >
> > > do i need to activate something?
> >
> > http://www.fedorafaq.org/#xmms-mp3
>
> But the FAQ is wrong, as the suggestion doesn't work.  At least on the
> default yum.conf that FC3 installs, as the xmms-mp3 RPMs apparently aren't
> in the default yum repositories--I tried. A google search on "Fedora Core 3
> mp3" yielded:
>

> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&forumid=35&thread
>id=267844

 Whoops! Sorry, that wasn't the link I used. Try

http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=10015;start=0#msg90841

Problem :  XMMS doesn't play MP3's.

Solution :  Red Hat cannot legally distribute the MP3 codecs.  Tun the
following command as root :
Code:

rpm -ivh
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/3/xmms/xmms-mp3-1.2.10-9.1.1.fc3.fr.i386.rpm