FC3 - i cant play MP3 or DVD ???

Dave fedora-user at nospam.dnsalias.org
Mon Dec 27 18:50:06 UTC 2004

On Monday 27 December 2004 10:37 am, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 27.12.2004 schrieb Dave um 19:26:
> > > http://www.fedorafaq.org/#xmms-mp3
> >
> > But the FAQ is wrong, as the suggestion doesn't work.  At least on the
> > default
>
> The FAQ isn't wrong!
>
> If you follow the FAQ then exactly that happens: it installs the
> xmms-mp3 RPM by freshrpms.net.

 My most humble apologies! I didn't read the FAQ completely, and hence didn't
use the yum.conf shown. Hence it didn't work for me.

 Now my question--why should I have to change the yum configuration as
distributed with FC3 just to get FC3 to actually work, and what are the
implications, compatibility & security-wise? Personally, I feel much more
comfortable installing 'non-standard' RPMs on a case-by-case basis, directly
using rpm -ivh etc.