FC3, latest updates, glibc malloc segmentation fault

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Mon Dec 27 21:03:22 UTC 2004

Mika Saari wrote:

> malloc: using debugging hooks
> Segmentation fault
> [...]
>   errors. I have been using blender 2.36, mainactor (latest release),
> neverwinter nights client, each of these were even a bit solid when
> using FC2 but now they crash like all the time. I am using
> MALLOC_CHECK_=0 or 1 but still same problem.

Programs running solid is no indication they are working correctly.  As
described in the release notes, the glibc in FC3 detects memory problem
at runtime.  When it finds some, it terminates the process.  With
SIGABRT, though, which is why a segfault is strange.

Anyway, if any of this continues to happen with MALLOC_CHECK_=0, then it
is not related to the new malloc checks since they don't do anything.

There can, of course, nevertheless be changes in any of the system
libraries these programs use, which can cause the problems.  I'll only
say this for glibc, but here any such problem is most likely the
applications fault since we don't know of any changes to documented
behavior.

Anyway, you'll have to debug the problem yourself.  Just create core
files or run the code under gdb.