slmodemd dead but subsys locked -SOLVED

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 27 21:23:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> --- Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >
> > > In /etc/init.d/slmodemd the following segment of
> > code
> > > loads slamr but gets the line /var/sys/locked.
> > Can
> > > you point a solution to eliminate that message
> > from
> > > here?
> > >
> > > start() {
> > > 	cat /proc/modules | grep 'slamr' >/dev/null || {
> > > 	echo -n "Loading SmartLink Modem driver into
> > kernel
> > > ... "
> > >         modprobe slamr && echo "done." || {
> > > 	   echo "failed."
> > > 	   exit -1
> > >           }
> > >         }
> >
> > This looks like the Mandrake version of the startup
> > script.  In
> > slmodemd-2.9.10, the basic script doesn't contain
> > these lines.
>
> Yes, this is the mandrake script.  The debian script
> does not work and suse is not compatible either.  This
> is the one that is closer to working.   In Fedora Core
> 2, the script [/slmodem-2.9.X/scripts/slmodemd] worked
> fine without modification with the probable line added
> after
> start{}{
>        modprobe slamr
>        ....rest of code from
> /slmodem-2.9.X/scripts/slmodemd
> }.
>
> > Note that
> > this script also inserts the module.  You'll want
> > only one of the
> > techniques--slmodemd script, etc/modprobe.conf,
> > /etc/rc.modules.
> >
> > >         echo -n "Starting SmartLink Modem driver
> > for
> > > $SLMODEMD_DEVICE: "
> > > 	$prog </dev/null >/dev/null 2>/dev/null \
> > > 	    --country=$SLMODEMD_COUNTRY $SLMODEMD_OPTS
> > > /dev/$SLMODEMD_DEVICE &
> > > 	RETVAL=$?
> > > 	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && success $"$prog startup" ||
> > > failure $"$prog startup"
> > > 	echo
> > > 	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
> > > 	return $RETVAL
> > > }
>
> If there is a way for the script not to execute the
> following code:
>  	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
>  	return $RETVAL
>
> I would not doubt in my mind that it will work.

I would doubt it.  The problem isn't the fact that the lock file exists,
the problem is that slmodemd is dying after it is started and the lock
file is created.  Not creating the lock file won't change the fact that
slmodemd is dying.

> > As I recall, you can get the modem up and fully
> > functional, just not at
> > boot.  You might try the following:  Once you have
> > everything operating
> > correctly, copy /dev/slamr* to /etc/udev/dev.  Then
> > the devices will be
> > created at boot.
>
> I tried doing this before but it did not work.  I have
> also updated udev to the lastest one.  Other things
> work better like DVD play.

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas.  I don't really have time to try to get
it to work here.  You might try the ALSA drivers.  Also, I don't recall
which version you are using, but I've read that 2.9.10 supports fewer
devices than 2.9.9.

Otherwise, best of luck...

--
		Matthew Saltzman