restricted 'open app' behaviour with firefox/gnome

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Mon Dec 27 23:15:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 01:17:16PM -0600, Kenny Gow and Matthew Miller wrote:

> >>Double-click on the word "Filesystem" in the left pane. Now you can browse
> >>starting from "/". No way to type in the pathname, though. This is because
> >>it is now a user-friendly interface.

> >Oh, hey, actually, I just discovered that you can (oh-so-obviously) hit
> >ctrl-L and type in a path.

> and the forward slash key "/" does the same thing (lets you type
> in a location, with file name completion, cool)

Matthew and Kenny, thanks for the replies and solutions.
Come to think of it the solutions are rather "obvious", and maybe
they are even mentioned in the gnome help (which I never bother
to read :)) or as a keyboard shortcut.

I actually tried Matthew's solution (ctrl-L) but on the original popup
window with the  2 choices and it doesn't work there. Never thought of trying
it on the file selector window.

Alexander