Mbox2MailDir [was]Re: moving from stock IMAP server to Cyrus IMAP.

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue Dec 28 02:36:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 20:33, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 27.12.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 13:16:
>
> > > google brought me:
> > > http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1284283/com/mb2md-3.20-1.noarch.rpm.html
> > But is it for FC3? I don't have a compiler on my FC3 box :-(
>
> Don't use it. I just posted the link so that you can read the tools
> description. As said, Cyrus-IMAPd uses it's own Maildir storage format
> which is NOT compatible with the Maildir format known by Dovecot or
> Courier for example. So the above tool mb2md is USELESS for your
> purpose.

Yeah.. I gather as much based on my "postfix - The definitive guide" by
oreilly book.

But I will look at it for future use.
> > Then how do you suggest moving the mbox mails to maildir?
> > Currently am Using a formail script I found which delivers it to cyrus's
> > deliver program.
> >
> > It works but it ain't "nice"
>
> A "formail | deliver" pipe instruction is proper. Why isn't that "nice"?
Because I feel that it's Clunky? It's OK for migrating my 3 users with <
5 mails/mbox but what about for larger sites? Will it work? Will it
overwhelm cyrus? Perhaps I can throttle it using sleep?

> Or what about using the solution described on
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html#92594
>
> (user2cyrus requires the NetxAP Perl module, which is freely available
> from CPAN.).

I did try that and I couldn't locate a RPM for the NetxAP module. (Note:
I said RPM as opposed to using CPAN to install it) and thus it didn't
work for me.

SInce we're talking about CPAN, once it's installed via CPAN, how does
one remove it? 1 benefit of a packaging system is you can see what's
installed and remove it when it's not wanted. How does this go for CPAN
stuffs?

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz