Mbox2MailDir [was]Re: moving from stock IMAP server to Cyrus IMAP.

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Dec 28 10:27:29 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 28.12.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 3:36:

> > > Then how do you suggest moving the mbox mails to maildir?
> > > Currently am Using a formail script I found which delivers it to cyrus's
> > > deliver program.
> > >
> > > It works but it ain't "nice"
> >
> > A "formail | deliver" pipe instruction is proper. Why isn't that "nice"?
> Because I feel that it's Clunky? It's OK for migrating my 3 users with <
> 5 mails/mbox but what about for larger sites? Will it work? Will it
> overwhelm cyrus? Perhaps I can throttle it using sleep?

I must confess that I don't understand that in any way. Aren't we
speaking about a one time migration of existing mbox based mails from an
old system over to Cyrus-IMAPd Maildir storage on the new system?
Of course having just few users and few mail to migrate is less time
consuming than to migrate thousands with gigabyte of mail. But in any
case, you will have to do it just one time. And to use "formail" to read
in the mboxes is nothing "clunky". What do you think the tool is for?
What do you mean with the idea "to throttle using sleep"? I am really
confused.

> > Or what about using the solution described on
> >
> > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html#92594
> >
> > (user2cyrus requires the NetxAP Perl module, which is freely available
> > from CPAN.).
>
> I did try that and I couldn't locate a RPM for the NetxAP module. (Note:
> I said RPM as opposed to using CPAN to install it) and thus it didn't
> work for me.

I am using cpan2rpm to instantly build RPMs from CPAN Perl modules.
cpanflute is another tool for this.

> SInce we're talking about CPAN, once it's installed via CPAN, how does
> one remove it? 1 benefit of a packaging system is you can see what's
> installed and remove it when it's not wanted. How does this go for CPAN
> stuffs?

Perl modules installed using CPAN aren't registered. You could locate
and manually delete the files an additional Perl module is coming with.

> Ow Mun Heng

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 11:20:15 up 5 days, 13:04, load average: 0.20, 0.40, 0.29