Is THIS VNC?

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Tue Dec 28 13:35:05 UTC 2004

On Monday 27 December 2004 08:40 pm, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> Okay, I'm confused (again)...
>
> I setup VNC on a new FC3 box.  I then setup the viewer on my laptop.
> When I logged into the VNCViewer application, I saw an ugly green and
> grey screen that I guess was the old X11 stuff.  Having come from a
> Microsoft world, I was expecting something more like Terminal
> Services.  I assumed I would have a window pop up and have one of the
> colorful environments (Gnome or KDE) to choose from.
>
> Am I missing something or is THIS what VNC consists of?  If this
> really is all that VNC has to offer then why would I use VNC instead
> of SSH?

Yes, you're missing something. It should be much more like Terminal Services.
You probably don't have VNC starting up properly. It is supposed to invoke
your preferred window manager. Since I start it up manually after ssh-ing in,
I get MY settings. If you're starting VNC at boot, then you probably get the
default settings for Fedora.

Try this... ssh into your FC3 box and type "vncserver" at the prompt and then
try to log in. If that works, it should be MUCH  nicer and you can debug why
your system isn't giving you a window manager when you start VNC from
default. If you still get the same yucky screen, please post your
~/.vnc/xstartup file contents.

 John