smartd failed

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Dec 28 14:30:33 UTC 2004

Jim wrote:
> well, who should i contact to let them know if some one removes a HD
> from their pc, that the app should recognize this and remove the entry
> in the smartd.comf file  so people wouldn't bother you with "   this
> was low on my priority list "  problems

Nobody.  It is not a bug.  It is the way things are supposed to work.
Smartd (or anything else) has no way of telling if you removed the
drive, or if the drive is completely dead.  If smartd, kudzu or anyting
else were to remove the drive from smartd.conf automatically, disk
failure might go unnoticed in some cases.