R: Is THIS VNC?

Piero pierolists at giochi.org
Tue Dec 28 17:16:45 UTC 2004

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
Per conto di Scot L. Harris
Inviato: martedì 28 dicembre 2004 17.55
A: Fedora List
Oggetto: Re: Is THIS VNC?

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 08:35, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Monday 27 December 2004 08:40 pm, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> > Okay, I'm confused (again)...
> >
> > I setup VNC on a new FC3 box.  I then setup the viewer on my laptop.
> > When I logged into the VNCViewer application, I saw an ugly green and
> > grey screen that I guess was the old X11 stuff.  Having come from a
> > Microsoft world, I was expecting something more like Terminal
> > Services.  I assumed I would have a window pop up and have one of the
> > colorful environments (Gnome or KDE) to choose from.
> >
> Yes, you're missing something. It should be much more like Terminal
Services.
> You probably don't have VNC starting up properly. It is supposed to invoke

> your preferred window manager. Since I start it up manually after ssh-ing
in,
> I get MY settings. If you're starting VNC at boot, then you probably get
the
> default settings for Fedora.

I think you need to check the xstartup file located under the .vnc
directory.  In there you can set what window manager you want the vnc
session to use.

You should be able to use the following in that file to get the your
default window manager running under vnc.

exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Try to reinstall them.

Piero