symbolic links in / disappear on their own in FC3?

Mikko Huhtala mhuhtala at abo.fi
Tue Dec 28 19:22:05 UTC 2004

We have a setup where /opt is automounted over NFS. The actual
automount point is /misc/opt and there is a symbolic link
/opt->misc/opt. This is because the setup has been in use with the
older versions of autofs supplied with RH9 and FC1, where it was
difficult to put automount points directly under root.

Now we have upgraded to FC3 and things continue to mostly
work. However, the /opt->misc/opt has disappeared a few times on
different machines. It seems like it just got removed
automatically. The link is, of course, dangling if the NFS server or
the automounter is down. Is there a process somewhere in FC3 that
removes dangling symlinks automatically (i.e. symlinks -d being run
from cron or during boot)? I haven't been able to find anything.

This is by no means a frequent problem; it has happened maybe 4 times,
and we have been running FC3 on ~45 machines for a month. On FC1 the
/opt symlink did always stay put.

Mikko