kernel panic: ( No Joy ) cd drive mounting

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Tue Dec 28 23:40:05 UTC 2004

Mark Weaver wrote:

>> Osmo Laitinen wrote:

>>> Or you could try with kernel found from:
>>> http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC3/RPMS.kernel/
>>> Those alse fixed my automounting and also vpn-client is working again,
>>> nice.
>>> And those kernels has gpg signatures which is very good.
>>>

>> Hi Osma,
>>
>> thanks for the info... I'm downloading the kernel now. I'll install it
>> and post back how I made out.
>>

> holy hanna!!! this dog won't hunt either. At least until I figure out
> why I'm getting kernel panic when I attempt to boot the kernel. The
> message said something about some drivers that it couldn't load. Next
> time I reboot I'll copy down the message and post it back to the list.

Ok... After installing both kernel-2.6.9-1.1049_FC4, and
kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.1049_FC4 I'm still pretty much in the same boat.
Neither of these kernels will boot.

The first smp kernel begins to boot, but then hangs just after you get
the splash to the console from Grub of what drive that its booting from.
The kernel-2.6.9-1.1049_FC4 kernel has panic and sends this message to
the screen:

Kernel panic - not syncing: drivers/ide/pci/piix.c: 390:
spin_lock(drivers/ide/ide.c: c0364d48) already locked by
drivers/ide-iops.c/1234

Any ideas on this one? It would appear that the rabbit hole continues to
get deeper and deeper. I'm actually starting to have fun with it. ;)

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."