change the time for authorization

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Wed Dec 29 01:47:11 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 8:52 pm, Jim wrote:
> can i chnge the default time i'm able to run as root in my user
> account the default is like 5 minutes.
> if so how and where do i make this change

You can set this setiing by using an environment variable called TMOUT.
Just modify your root account's .bashrc and set it there. Like this:

export TMOUT=300

Put this in /home/root/.bashrc

After that, whenever you switch to root (using "su -") you'll get kicked out
after 5 minutes of inactivity.  Remember to use "su -" because if you don't ,
the shell won't read root's initial environment files (.bash_profile, bashrc
etc...).

HTH,
Jorge