Links in Thunderbird email open new window in Firefox

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Wed Dec 29 07:04:48 UTC 2004

Gene Smith wrote:

> Gustavo Seabra wrote, On 12/29/2004 12:23 AM:
>
>> Gene Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know if this is a user problem, TB problem or FF problem or
>>> FC3. I think I have the FF prefs right and no matter what I do when
>>> I click a link in TB I get a new window in FF when I really want a
>>> new tab. Does this actually work for anyone? It worked as expected
>>> in mozilla and mailnew in FC2 but not with FF/TB in 64bit FC3. This
>>> is with
>>> FF: 1.0
>>> TB: 20041216
>>>
>>> Was using TB .9 with same results.
>>>
>>> -gene
>>>
>> Hi Gene,
>>
>> I just had the same problem recently. It is a well known bug in
>> Firefox, that makes it override your user prefs (although I don't
>> have the bugzilla number now). To solve it is actually pretty simple:
>> edit the file /usr/bin/firefox to remove the "new-window" parameter
>> in line 224, and it should work:
>> This is how it looks like in my case
>> ------------
>> # Old line 224:
>> # exec $MOZ_CLIENT_PROGRAM $MOZ_CLIENT_PROGRAM_PARAM
>> "openurl($opt,new-window)" 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
>> # new one:
>>  exec $MOZ_CLIENT_PROGRAM $MOZ_CLIENT_PROGRAM_PARAM "openurl($opt)"
>> 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
>> ------------
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

> Yes it does! Thanks. However, FF/TB seems to have lost the ability
> (compared to Moz/Mailnews) to middle click on link in email and load
> link in tab in background on the browser. Or am I missing something
> here too?
> -gene

I'm not sure what you mean by "load link in tab in background", but
recheck your prefs on Firefox. In my case I have, in Prefs --> Advanced
--> Tabbed Browsing:
    Open links from other applications in:
       --> A new tab in the most recent window

That works for me, but it brings the new tab up, even if I de-select
"select new tabs opened from links". Is that what you mean?

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University