newbie - How to run a script?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Dec 29 09:30:32 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 29.12.2004 schrieb Srinivas G. um 7:30:

> At last I have written the daemon script file perfectly. It was working
> fine. I am able to run the daemon from the RPM spec file also. But at
> the time of system boot, the daemon is loaded two times. If I run the
> script using /etc/init.d/tifmd start then it is loaded once only.  In
> the RPM spec file I specified the command like chkconfig --add tifmd.
> Without ant error messages daemon was executed.

chkconfig --list tifmd

lists the service? From what do you see that the deamon is started 2
times, from the process list or from "rc.status" (whatever that does)?
If you see it running 2 times in the process list (what I suspect), then
you will have to search where you certainly accidentally call the
service too. Maybe something left in /etc/rc.local?

> Why it was executed two times at the system boot up level only? Am I
> doing any mistake in the script file? Please see the script for the
> daemon is as follows.
>
> #! /bin/sh
> #
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides:          tifmd
> # Required-Start:    $syslog $remote_fs
> # Required-Stop:     $syslog $remote_fs
> # Default-Start:     2 3 5
> # Default-Stop:      0 1 6
> daemon timfd for to help the tifm driver
> ### END INIT INFO

/usr/share/doc/initscripts*/sysvinitfiles contains detailed
instructions. What I miss is a line

chkconfig: 235 90 10

See i.e. /etc/init.d/sendmail on how a proper init script head looks
like.

> tifmd_BIN=/usr/sbin/tifmd
>
> # source function library
> if [ -f /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions ]; then
> 	. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> else
> 	. /etc/rc.status

What is this rc.status?

> fi
>
> test -x $tifmd_BIN || { echo "TIFMS | $tifm_BIN not installed";
> 	if [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then exit 0;
> 	else exit 5; fi; }

For what this "if else" logic? Why do you bypass the stop) case below?

> RETVAL=0
>
> case "$1" in
>     start)
> 	echo -n "TIFMDS | Starting tifmd Daemon...              "
> 	#start the daemon using daemon command
> 	daemon $tifmd_BIN
> 	touch /var/lock/subsys/tifmsd
> 	echo
> 	exit 0

Why the "exit 0"?

> 	;;
>     stop)
> 	echo -n "TIFMDS | Shutting down tifmd Daemon...         "
> 	## Stop daemon with killproc(8) and if this fails
> 	killproc $tifmd_BIN
> 	rm -f /var/lock/subsys/tifmsd
> 	echo
> 	;;
>     reload)
> 	echo -n "TIFMDS | Reloading service tifmd Daemon...           "
> 	killproc $tifmd_BIN -HUP
> 	RETVAL=$?
> 	echo
> 	;;
>     report)
> 	echo -n "TIFMDS | Checking for service tifmd Daemon...        "
>         killproc $tifmd_BIN -USR1
>         RETVAL=$?
>         echo
>         ;;
>     restart)
>         $0 stop
>         $0 start
>         ;;
>     status)
>         status tifmd
> 	    ;;
>     *)
>        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|reload|report|restart|status}"
>        RETVAL=1
> esac
> exit $RETVAL

> Srinivas G

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 10:18:50 up 6 days, 12:02, load average: 0.12, 0.15, 0.09