Fedora on HP Pavilion zt3000 laptop (was "No Subject")

Tony Dietrich td at transoft.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 29 10:24:18 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 29 Dec 2004 09:29, R. Kirk McPike wrote:
> Being something of an idiot, and it being late at night, I forgot to
> include a subject line. And people say I'm bright...
>
> Kirk
> ---
> Full text of original message included for those who tossed my "No
> Subject" version. Sorry!
>
> On Dec 29, 2004, at 3:15 AM, R. Kirk McPike wrote:
> > I'm attempting to set up Fedora Core 3 on my hp pavilion zt3101 (a
> > model in the zt3000 family). It's a Pentium M system with the 802.11b
> > Intel wireless card (full Centrino system) and a 15.2" widescreen
> > display and CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.
> >
> > I'm fairly inexperienced with Linux (installed it a few times, played
> > with it every now and then but never used it as a primary operating
> > system), and I'm having a few issues with getting set up. I've
> > searched through the archives, but didn't see precisely what I was
> > looking for, so I thought I'd turn to the kind folks on this list.
> >
> > Everything installed all right. But I'm sure that my ignorance is
> > what's causing me a few problems.
> >
> > My LCD's resolution is 1280 x 800, but that's not an option listed in
> > my Display system settings. I've set my video card to the proper card
> > (ATI Radeon Mobility 9200), and set my display to Generic LCD Display
> > 1280x800, but to no avail. Do I need to figure out precisely what
> > brand of monitor HP has included with my laptop?

AFAIK, the XWindows system doesn't yet have drivers to run an LCD screen at
that resolution.
Maximum resolution seems to be 1024x768.
To be honest, I personally can't see much diference between the two screens
when I switch resolutions in WinXP.

> > Also, how do I put the system to sleep so that I can safely close the
> > lid and move it about? I've been able to get a nice little battery
> > monitor to show up in the top corner, but that's about as much as I've
> > been able to do. Double clicking it produces an error that
> > '/usr/bin/apm -s' was unsuccessful. Eh?

Suspend is a function of ACPI.
'/usr/bin/apm -s' calls the relevant routines.
I don't know enough of the software to suggest a solution, but you could try
googling on ACPI and your_precise_brand_of_laptop

> > I'm very new at Linux, but I'm pretty impressed so far. This is by far
> > the most polished looking and usable Linux I've ever seen -- I never
> > used to feel like I had any ownership over my computer when I tried
> > previous releases, but I do now.
> >
> > Any suggestions for a very newbie-friendly resource to walk me through
> > all this sort of stuff?

google everything.

> > Next I need to see if I can get my wireless card working.

root# lspci

 is your friend, together with google, man and this list.

> > Thanks in advance. I promise to get out of y'alls hair as soon as I
> > get this stuff resolved. Thanks to all the contributors and the
> > community who made this software possible.
> >
> > Kirk

TD