create a file that opens a url

Anthony E. Greene tony at greene-family.org
Wed Dec 29 14:44:22 UTC 2004

On 29-Dec-2004/09:30 -0500, Gentian Hila <genti.tech at gmail.com> wrote:
>I did that but now it opens immediately with my text editor gedit and
>I do not want to change that as the default editor for script files.
>
>The file now reads
>#!/bin/bash
>firefox http://www.something.com

Did you make the file executable?

  chmod 755 urlfile

Nautilus will ask whether to open or run the file.

A better way to do this is to create a .desktop file. For a URL, just go
to the target page in your browser and drag the icon at the left end of
the address bar to your desktop.

You can drag the resulting .desktop file into gEdit to see what it
contains.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:Anthony%20E.%20Greene%20%3Ctony at greene-family.org%3E>