squirrelmail does not send mail out in fc3?

Richard Warburton richard at solver.co.nz
Wed Dec 29 15:39:17 UTC 2004

>Hi,
>
>I have a problem with squirrelmail in fc3.  I installed it
>(squirrelmail-1.4.3a-6.FC3) from the fc3 cd. I can receive and read mails
>in squirrelmail.  However, I cannot send mails out, no error, but nothing
>happens when I click Send.
>
>My dovecot.conf sets
>
>protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
>
>and I can read/send mails from outlook express without error, dovecot is
>running.  I also tried to set in /etc/squirrelmail/config.php
>
>$domain                 = 'localhost';
>$imapServerAddress      = 'localhost';
>$smtpServerAddress      = 'localhost';
>
>and
>
>$domain                 = 'my-server-name';
>$imapServerAddress      = 'my-server-name';
>$smtpServerAddress      = 'my-server-name';
>
>but, none of them works.  The firewall is turned off.  I used the same way
>to set up squirrelmail in fc1 and it is working well there.  Should I do
>something else in fc3 to make it working?
>
>I appreciate all help!
>
>Hongwei Li

I tend to use:

$domain                 = 'my-server-name';
$imapServerAddress      = 'localhost';
$smtpServerAddress      = 'localhost';

Not sure if your problem lies there though, but no harm in trying.  Can you expand on nothing happens when you click send?  Like, do the 'sent' emails appear in your  sent folder?  Do the messages get passed onto Sendmail?  (Check /var/log/maillog or man mailq).  If literally, nothing happens when you click send (no response from webserver), I wonder if it's an SELINUX problem (I think I had to disable it over a few things, one might have been squirrel mail.)  Look in /var/log/httpd/error.log and /var/log/messages.

Cheers.