kernel panic: ( No Joy ) cd drive mounting

Osmo Laitinen ossi at pp.inet.fi
Wed Dec 29 15:52:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 06:40:05PM -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:

> Ok... After installing both kernel-2.6.9-1.1049_FC4, and
> kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.1049_FC4 I'm still pretty much in the same boat.
> Neither of these kernels will boot.

Well, you could try with kernel from here:
http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC3/RPMS.kernel/

As I said earlier, that 2.6.9-1.715_FC3 works better than those
labeled as FC4. And those seems to have gpg signatures also, which is nice.
And there is no need for you to use smp kernels (unless you have
computer that benefits for those).

> The first smp kernel begins to boot, but then hangs just after you get
> the splash to the console from Grub of what drive that its booting from.
> The kernel-2.6.9-1.1049_FC4 kernel has panic and sends this message to
> the screen:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: drivers/ide/pci/piix.c: 390:
> spin_lock(drivers/ide/ide.c: c0364d48) already locked by
> drivers/ide-iops.c/1234
>
> Any ideas on this one? It would appear that the rabbit hole continues to
> get deeper and deeper. I'm actually starting to have fun with it. ;)

I assume that you could file a bug entry on that one:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/index.cgi.
And if kernel from
http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC3/RPMS.kernel/
don't work either file a bug for that one also.

--
T:Ossi