apm vs. acpi

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Dec 29 19:01:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 08:48:04AM -1000, Amy M wrote:
> My question now is: From what I have read, it appears that if I want to
> do suspend to ram, I have to forgo acpi and use apm.  Performance-wise,
> would anyone care to comment on the pros and cons of acpi vis-a-vis
> apm?  Thanks again.

It depends on your system. Basically, ACPI moves the work from the BIOS to
the OS. ACPI has potential to be better in the future, but is _much_ more
complicated for the OS (and _still_ depends on BIOS quirks), and clearly not
all of the kinks have been worked out. If your system supports APM
perfectly, it's usually the cleaner choice at this point. However, many new
machines have incomplete or no APM support, and require ACPI to avoid
problems like "the fan not ever going and your system melting".